Dimensions244 x 170 mm
Dimensions240 x 172 mm
Dimensions240 x 172 mm
The subject of policy analysis in Thailand is less examined than in Western societies. This is the first English-language book to engage in a detailed, comprehensive and current study of policy analysis in Thailand.
Providing a broad view of history, styles and methods, it examines policy analysis both within and beyond executive government, revealing the role of parties, the military and interest groups.
It will be a valuable resource for policy analysis researchers and practitioners, and as a comparison with other volumes in the International Library of Policy Analysis series.
“This is a rich collection of essays on the complex world of public policy in Thailand, which has many institutions and practices not found elsewhere. It is a valuable contribution to the small but growing literature on the public policy process in developing countries.” M. Ramesh, National University of Singapore and International Public Policy Association
“A significant contribution to Asian policy literature that makes an important start towards correcting the Western bias prominent in public policy studies. It will be essential reading to both scholars and students of policy processes.” Frank Fischer, Humboldt University
“This book offers useful insights into the theory and practice of policy analysis in Thailand. It will be an essential resource for academics and for future development and innovation.” Yu-Ying Kuo, National Taipei University
Ora-orn Poocharoen is Founding Director of the School of Public Policy, Chiang Mai University.
Piyapong Boossabong is Assistant Professor at the School of Public Policy, Chiang Mai University.
Introduction - Ora-orn Poocharoen and Piyapong Boossabong
Part 1: History, styles and methods of policy analysis in Thailand
1. History and styles of policy analysis in Thailand - Piyapong Boossabong
2. Methods of policy analysis in Thailand: bureaucratic, managerial, academic and participatory orientations - Arunee Santhitiwanich
Part 2: Policy analysis within executive government
3. Policy analysis in central government - Theerapat Ungsuchaval
4. Policy analysis in Thai local governments - Pobsook Chamchong
5. Collaboration, networks and policy analysis in Thailand - Chatthip Chaichakan
Part 3: Policy analysis beyond executive government
6. Monarchy and Thai meta-policy: the early years of Rama X’s reign - Khorapin Phuaphansawat and Puangchon Unchanam
7. The role of the Thai military in policy analysis: unpacking three faces of the military in the non-military policy domain - Wasin Punthong
8. Parliamentary committees, legislative supporting agencies and policy advice - Tatchalerm Sudhipongpracha
9. The role of expert policy advisory boards, consultants and think tanks in policy analysis - Ora-orn Poocharoen, Patamawadee Jongruck, Phanuphat Chattragul and Malinee Khumsupa
10. Political movements as expression of public opinion for agenda setting in Thailand - Watcharabon Buddharaksa
Part 4: Political parties and interest groups in policy analysis
11. Political parties and policy analysis - Chanintorn Pensute
12. Business associations and policy analysis - Warathida Chaiyapa and Vorapat Chutima
13. The role of the community sector and civil society in policy analysis - Theerapat Ungsuchaval and Wachirawat Ariyasirichot
14. The influence of Thailand’s social movements on policy analysis - Nattakant Akarapongpisak
Part 5: Policy analysis education and research
15. Policy analysis instruction in Thailand - Piyakorn Whangmahaporn
16. Non-traditional policy studies in Thailand - Theerapat Ungsuchaval
17. Policy research in academic institutions - Chumphol Aunphattanasilp
18. Transition and prospects of Thai policy analysis - Ora-orn Poocharoen and Piyapong Boossabong